Monday, April 2, 2012

Katakolan and the Ancient Olympic Games


The ancient Olympic stadium and the temple dedicated to Zeus.
I had to get up earlier this money.  The crew reminded everyone in the “daily activities guide) that there is 7 hours difference in US and local time. 

So, as I write this, it is about 2 PM back home, but we are the midst of a beautiful day on Katakolon.

Here are few the pictures today.  I’ve turned each day into a slide show, but it is too large of a file to transmit or post.

After touring the ancient Olympic stadium, we went to a local Greek restaurant. I’ m not sure what I ate … I believe the meat was lamb.  The next thing you know there’s singing and dancing.  Four dancers did some interesting and traditional dancing.

Ouzo may have helped in encouraging the folks on the tour to join the group for some dancing.

The traditional Greek dances were demonstrated.    
The temple to Zeus ... One the wonders of the ancient world.
                               

Entry into the ruins of the original Olympic stadium.

The source of the fire for Olympic Games. 

The competition for sports and track events  during the Ancient Olympics .

The sports arena for many of the track and field sports.

The starting gate (stone) for many of the track and field events.

A lone column to the building dedicated to Zeus.

I have cool videos of my trip that I’m collecting via iPhoto application.  The internet is just too slow for uploading them to the Blogger server at this point. 

P.S. The diagram of the grounds of the Ancient Olympics is pretty accurate.  The mountain (which is really a large hill can be seen.  

Wonders of the Ancient World (with clickable links):