Friday, March 9, 2018

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI – Final port-of-call on the Grand Voyage

The ship just arrived back in the USA, and I’m to go through US Customs this morning before being able to exit the ship.  This is our final port in the 2018 Grand South America/Antarctica, and this may be my last post until my next trip. 

I was here in St. Thomas last January.  You can see the damage; however, it doesn’t appear as bad as it was in Dominica. 
I don’t have an excursion today because most excursions had to do with beach activities.  I’m still nursing a skinned shin that I got in the Amazon, so swimming isn’t the best activity for me right now. 

There are two sea days after today for packing and preparing to disembark.  There are several folks I’ve met who will continue on the Prisendam for another 58 days for a trip to the Mediterranean and back.  However, I’m glad to get back home next week!

The bay is still beautiful despite some rough times last November.

The yachts are still here, too.

You can see damage to man a roof.

Much of the vegetation and leaf canopy has been removed, but it is regenerating.

Last year there were three cruise ships docked here.  Right now we're the only one in Charlotte Amalie.

Again, you can see some of the damage from the hurricane.

I rode the lift up to this observation deck last year.  I understand it is closed and hasn't reopened at this point.

Roof damage is obvious.


Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, is a substitute port of call.  The Grand Voyage was slated to go to Tortola; however, we were notified early in the voyage oft his change.  There was too much damage in Tortola to accept a cruise ship.