Friday, March 2, 2018

Final Brazilian Port of Call: Alter do Chao

The Prisendam made its final port-of-call in Brazil today.  We’re in the beach community of Alter do Chao.  I was actually here earlier this week (Sunday) on a tour. 

I was to do an excursion today on a nature walk in the Santa Lucia Arboretum.  However, they had 24 hours of rain two days ago, and the park was unavailable due to the damage from the waters of the Amazon. 
With my excursion cancelled, I took a ride in to Alter do Chao to complete a little shopping.  I didn’t stay long because of the heat and humidity.

There’s on one final stop in South America on this journey.  The ship arrives at Devil’s Island, French Guiana on Monday morning.  Then we’ll only have a couple of stops in the Caribbean before returning to Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
 
I was here on Sunday, and the water is even higher today.  More of the beach is under water.

This is the low season in Alter do Chao.  Things slow down after Carnival.  However, there were people here on Friday morning to enjoy the Amazon River beaches.

I had a little mishap (skinned shin) so I don't think I'll take a dip in the murky Amazon.

It's hot!  I'm ready to take my little boat back to the big ship in the distance.