Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Bar Harbor, Maine

I have been to Bar Harbor on a past cruise.  However, it rained when I went to Acadia National Park.  I wasn't able to see much at that time.  So, I had hoped for great weather to view this beautiful area of Maine.  The skies were a little overcast, but that didn't detract from the beauty of this island.

I took this shot of the ocean in the Acadia National Park.

The rocky coast of Maine is beautiful.  Beaches that exist are often from decomposed shells.

The view of Thunder Hole:   The sea comes in and creates the sound of thunder.

Lots of people were observing, but none would risk getting soaked by moving too close to the rushing sea.

Much of the interior lakes of Acadia National Park are used as reservoirs.  So there's no boating, swimming, etc.  However, this is a pond created for swimming.

John D. Rockefeller provided funding for bridges and carriage routes throughout the park.

At first I though fishermen were in the boat, but it appears the birds have found an improved/adapted this method of fishing for their purposes.

A local man owns this property in the Acadia National Park and refuses to sell it to the government.  He fishes and has a cabin, but the regulations prohibit him living on his land fulltime.

After leaving the park, you catch a glimpse of beautiful homes along the seashore.  Martha Stewart has a home in Bar Harbor.

The tour ended with a meal of lobster, mussels, corn, and potatoes.  I think the lobster is giving me the evil eye, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the meal.

After lunch at the Bar Harbor Club, I wandered around the town to check out the surroundings.

This Disney Cruise Line ship was also in town, and they made the harbor busy with families.  

I checked out the shops in Bar Harbor, but decided against any impulsive purchases.

I took this shot of one of the large hotels from the ms Zuiderdam.