Monday, July 1, 2013

Cruise Day 2: Helsinki, Finland

Today was spent touring some of the city of Helsinki,Finland.  Helsinki has been the stand-in for Russia on many movies because of similar architecture (e.g., Red, Gorky Park, etc.).


Here are a few shots I took during my visit today.

The Helsinki Church (80% are Lutheran) in the town square.

A Russian Czar in the town square.  Norway and Russia have had along history/connection.

An outdoor museum with various styles of Norwegian construction (they introduced the log cabin in America).

Having coffee or tea along with a Finnish cinnamon roll.

A typical country church of long ago in Finland.

I always think of log cabins and red paint when I think of Scandinavian homes.

"I'm ready for my closeup."  These seagulls love to take advantage of the drafting as the ship sales.  Note one is banded.

One of the newest churches in Helsinki.  It was constructed inside of a large rock formation.  It has beautiful acoustics.

They moved the old train station and tracks which resulted in a walking and bike trail that cuts across the city.