Saturday, January 24, 2015

Papeete, Tahiti: Day 1

The ship arrive midday in Tahiti.  It is amazing to see how they can “park” the ship and navigate it into port.  The ship actually made a 180 degree turn to dock. 

Folks disembarked and were greeted by Tahitian singers, and I was off on a tour of Papenoo Valley.  There were hundreds of waterfalls, and our sight-seeing truck went over dams of flowing rivers to get into the interior of the island.  It was bumpy.

A final stop at the beach was in order, and the surf was up on this cloudy afternoon.  You might notice that I got a burn with sunscreen and a hat in this tropical paradise. 

These pictures are a little out of sequence ... a problem with Blogger today.
 
Thousands of waterfalls exist in the Papenoo Valley.  The river is being used to generate electricity.

This was part of the "road" we crossed.  It's one of the dams being used to generate power in the valley.

I'm standing on the road after we successfully crossed the river.

Here I am at the point ... It was overcast and I used sunscreen, but I believe I'm burned!



The ship navigated a tight spot to reach the harbor in Tahiti.

The view form the Papeete harbor.

Another view as we navigated into the harbor.

Those who disembarked were greeted in song.

Can you believe we drove across this steam as part of the tour?