Monday, March 23, 2015

Dubai's Architectural Marvels

Dubai is an amazing city.  It is kind of hard to do justice to this modern city in only a few photographs, but I'll try.  Here are my shots from my tour of the architectural marvels of the city:
 
 
A photo from the 124th floor of the Burj Khalifa.

The world's tallest building, Burj Khalifa, is easy to point out in the skyline of Dubai. 

Another shot from the world's tallest building.

High rise buildings popped up in the desert from off shore oil profits, but this area has been hurting financially since 2008.

Oil money has resulted in a roadway system that is among the best in the world.

This young man came up to me in the mall.  His Dad picked him to  give me a "high five."

Everything is over the top in Dubai  Here's the indoor ski resort in the desert.  It is in the Mall of the Emirates.

This is the Burj Al Arab, which is a sail shaped 7-star hotel.  Note the round helicopter landing pad for the rich and famous.

I am standing on the Jumeirah Beach.  This is as close as I can get today to the sail shaped hotel which is on its own island. However, I am scheduled for tea at the hotel tomorrow which is one of the few ways to get to the island.


This is the largest hotel in Dubai.  It's the Atlantis Resort, and Michael Jackson lived in the part that connects the two towers.
There are nighttime fountain shows that occur every 30 minutes outside the Burg Khalifa.