Thursday, March 26, 2015

Muscat, Oman

Well, we arrived around 2am in Muscat, Oman (Thursday, March 26).  I just had breakfast, and I've taken a few photos of the city from the ship.

Muscat is the capital of Oman.  The Western Al Hajar Mountains dominate the landscape and you see how the city has been carved out of the side of mountain from the harbor.

I’m slumming it today in Muscat.  I’m off to Al Bustan Palace Hotel around noontime for another tea.  The hotel is part of the Ritz-Carlton group, so I know it will be an experience.  I'm also supposed to have time in the Muttrah Souk (or market).
 
This is the Al Mirani Fort that overlooks the sea.  It was built by the Portuguese.



Muscat has a large tourism industry because of malls, resorts, and a beautiful coastline.  Of course, it's an Islamic country with the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque.  Shoulders, knees, and bellies must be covered while off the ship today.

The Al Hajar Mountains are in the background of every shot of Muscat.

Some of the tours will leave early this morning.  My tour doesn't begin until midday.

The port facility is very modern.

Muscat's position on the Arabian Sea close to the Straits of Hormuz has made it an important trading city.

A view of the monument in Riyam Park.