Wednesday, August 25, 2021

A change in plan… a visit to Sedona, Arizona

Altitude has not been my friend on this vacation.  I’ve been at 7000 ft. since arriving in New Mexico last week.  I was slated to go to Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend today which are at high elevations.  I decided to forgo this trip and spend the day in Sedona.  Flagstaff is on top of a volcanic plateau (7000 ft.), and Sedona’s red rocks were created by lava flows down the plateau.  Sedona is at a more comfortable 4000 ft.  The interstate signs listed the change every 1000 feet.  

The tour stopped at several locations.  The Chapel of the Holy Cross (click here to read about it) is beautiful. The chapel, completed in 1956, has that modern, mid-century look.  The chapel and I are about the same age, but I believe the chapel has aged better than me!

Here's the entry to the chapel.  You must climb up a winding ramp from the parking lot.

A view of the Chapel of the Holy Cross from the road looking upward.

A view of the chapel from the side.

Inside the chapel looking toward the alter and cross.  These are the windows you see from the front.

According to Wikipedia… “as far back as 1923, Sedona's red rocks were a fixture in major Hollywood productions—including films such as Angel and the Badman, Desert Fury, Blood on the Moon, Johnny Guitar, The Last Wagon, and 3:10 to Yuma. However, the surroundings typically were identified to audiences as the terrain of Texas, California, Nevada, and even Canada–US border territory.” 

Courthouse Butte

According to our guide, this served as a telegraph office for a John Wayne movie.




Sedona Red Rocs:  Coffee Pot Rock (right)


Red Rocks Sedona:  Foreground - Chimney Rock (L) and Bell Rock (R)

The shots above were taken from the local airport looking down toward Sedona.
Red Rocks of Sedona:  Bell Rock

That's a $3 million dollar home.  Can you imagine the view from the windows on the back?
Red Rocks in the background: Red Rock Crossing (Left) and Cathedral Rock (Right)



The guide provided us with the names of each of the red rocks, and I'll spend time later identifying them in my photos.

"Some believe that the vortexes are a portal for celestial and terrestrial spirits; you may feel a range of sensations from a slight tingling on exposed skin, to a vibration emanating from the ground when you encounter a vortex."

Sedona is said have four major vortexes (vortices):  Airport Mesa, Cathedral Rock, Bell Rock and Boynton Canyon.  So it’s a place where you see many “new age” experiences.  Crystals are sold everywhere.  It’s also the home of rich and famous.  While visiting downtown, I resisted the urge to have my “aura” photographed, and I didn’t buy any crystals with "healing" powers.  I didn't feel anything special while at the "vortex" at the local airport, however, I did enjoy the view.

Many locals wonder how this California MD got this approved for building as his vacation home.  You can only access it by ladder or a special lift.  The garage and pool are below.  

Sedona is an artist colony.  I really enjoyed seeing all the artwork, sculpture, and other works of art.  It was, however, a little too expensive for my art budget!

My vacation is coming to an end!   It's time to pack and make the return train trip home.  😭