Friday, August 20, 2021

Leaving Chicago and my first meal on the SW Chief...

It was a great trip on the SW Chief.  This long-haul train (#03) makes the 40-hour trek from Chicago to Los Angeles.  We met the sister SW Chief (#04) in New Mexico.  It runs the route in the reverse (Los Angeles to Chicago), and I’ll return on it next week.

I took this as we exited the dark Union Square station.  Note the Sears/Willis Tower to the left.

The conductor must have been from Illinois.  He provided commentary of the Illinois towns (this stopped when the train reached Iowa).  He said the said Mendota was the most picturesque town.  Mendota's corn cob isn't as big as Gaffney's giant peach!

The SW Chief offers dining service for its sleeping car passengers.  You have the option of a reservation or they will serve you in your cabin.  I chose to eat in the dining car since they are social distancing at all times.  The three-course meal was delicious.  I had the lobster and crab cake on farrow as my appetizer.  It was followed by the perfect medium-rare steak.  I chose the carrot cake (hey, can’t it be considered a vegetable) for dessert. 

My dining attendant came to my sleeping room to find out my preferred dining time.

Meals (and one adult beverage) are included for those who have sleeping car accommodations.

Michael, my dining attendant, insisted he take my picture.  I also met the Chef Luigi.  

The lobster and crab cake on farrow was so delicious.

The steak and accompaniments were so good.  Note the carrots are spherical.