Thursday, August 19, 2021

Getting ready for my long ride…

I slept well last night, and I asked for a late checkout today.  My trip begins at 2:50pm and I should arrive in Santa Fe at 2:40pm tomorrow.  All trains on which I’ve ridden have arrived late, so I expect to spend greater than 24 hours on this leg of the trip. 

My trek today includes crossing the states of Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri; the trip continues after midnight by working the way across Kansas, Colorado, and New Mexico.  The Southwest Chief has the route of Chicago to Los Angeles which takes 40 hours.  I will be getting off in Lamy, NM, and a short ride by bus to Santa Fe for two days.   

My next posts cannot happen until I reach my hotel in Santa Fe.  I'm looking forward to the landscapes.  Amtrak describes it this way, "You'll be mesmerized by this region's beauty and allure. We'll take you across the mighty Mississippi through eight states — past wheat fields and ranches, missions and pueblos, mountains and deserts. Carving through curving canyon passages only a few feet wider than the train itself, you'll see spectacular landscapes and pristine vistas not visible from interstate highways."  I hope that most of this beauty is in the daylight!

As I’ve traveled the train I look for signs.  Here’s a photo of the Southwest Chief from a rancher along the Old Santa Fe Trail.  Maybe I'll see it tomorrow.