Sunday, August 29, 2021

It’s good to be home…

Well, I made it. The trip across America required my being in 14 states and the District of Columbia over the last three days.

All of my train travel was very good, but I would give this final leg of the Capitol Limited (Chicago to Washington, DC) a grade of “C.” It wasn’t staffed by the most pleasant of folks. They complained and blamed coworkers (calling one dumb for his execution of a process). The car attendant started the cleaning process before we arrived in DC, and he blocked the exits as everyone made a fast exit for other trains or to get home. This segment of my ride was the exception rather than the rule regarding my Amtrak experience.

I didn’t take many photos on the way home.  I was tired, and I just sat back to observed the scenery.  On the trip home, the Southwest Chief did announce when we went over the Mississippi and I quickly took a few shots with my iPhone.  It was a pretty playground and picnic area, and I wasn't fast enough to catch it all.  

Just a small portion of the playground and picnic areas on the Mississppi.

It looks like a few boaters/fishermen are taking advantage of the beautiful day.

I was able to get a better shot as the Southwest Chief made it across the Mississppi.

The Mississippi separates Illinois (left) from Iowa (right).

I also snapped my exit from Washington, DC’s Union Square on the Silver Star.  This time I was on the west side of the train, and I could see the Capitol, the Washington Monument, and the Jefferson Memorial as we moved out of the city. 

I was on the west side of the train, and you can see the capitol visible as the train made its way out of Union Station.

I also had a good view of the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial on the Potomac, but was I unable to catch a shot with my iPhone.

I reached the Columbia station right on time (1:30am), but I was stood up by my taxi driver.  I had prearranged for the trip, and he texted me a series of phone numbers for other options that weren't helpful.  I use Uber around the country, and I decided to use the app.  A wonderful lady name Lidia came to my rescue with her Uber vehicle in a matter of minutes.  Thanks Uber for being dependable!  

I am glad I had a wonderful trip, and I’m safely home.