Thursday, August 26, 2021

Time to return home: Flagstaff, Arizona, to Columbia, SC

As I type this, I'm preparing to catch my Uber from the hotel to the Amtrak Depot in Flagstaff.  The trip begins at 4:25am on August 26.  I ends with my arrival in Columbia on August 29 at 1:05am.  I'm not sure how long that is because of the many time changes (with potential delays because freight trains own the tracks and are a priority over Amtrak).  

Arizona is on Mountain Standard Time, but it doesn't recognize daylight saving time (exception one area of the state that is a reservation).  So, there's three hours difference from Eastern Standard Time.  When I cross between Arizona to New Mexico, both states are on MST; however, there's an hour difference between the two states.  New Mexico follows daylight savings time.

There are other contrasts between the states of New Mexico and Arizona.  New Mexico is "all in" with social distancing and masks.  Arizona seems to have a much more laissez-faire attitude (at least in the area around Flagstaff): it's up to you in Arizona.  Again, its clear to see the divide in the two states (one red and one blue).  

I will not be able to update the blog until I get back home.  As I said, I'm sure how long it takes, but it's almost a 3+ day trek across America!   I'm going sit back and enjoy the scenery.