Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Georgetown, Cayman Islands


The captain made a joke about the Cayman Islands last night.  It’s the banking capital of the Caribbean, and lots of folks park their money in the banks here to avoid paying taxes.  People can also buy a citizenship with a recognized passport, too.  So, he was expecting many of the ship’s passengers to go ashore with many briefcases of money to make a few deals.

I had no financial deals to participate in, so I visited with the stingrays and dolphins on the island.  I took a short ride to Dolphin Cove.  From there I took a boat to a sandbar in the middle of the cove.  The stingrays are attracted to this sandbar, and everyone got a chance to get “up close and personal” with a few stingrays.  I have pictures of my encounter with a stingray, but it’s on a CD so I’ll need to download it when I get home.

I also spent time with a 4-year old male dolphin named Lucky.  I have pictures with me and lucky, too.  However, I’ll have to post them when I return home later this month.

Here are a few of my photos from my visit today in Georgetown, Cayman Islands.  It was a busy day for the islands because six cruise ships were tendered and visiting on this beautiful day.
This is my second visit to the Cayman Islands.  There are lots of shops and bars along the harbor where tourists arrive by tender.. 

Here's the pier at Dolphin Cove.  There are two dolphins that you can make out near the pier.

There was a 20-minute board ride into the ocean to reach the stingray sandbar.

It was interesting to see this sandbar that was about waist deep and surrounded by deep water.

Everyone got off the boats for the encounter with the stingrays.

Here are few of the stingrays in the water after I re-boarded the boat.

Five additional cruise ships (Disney, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity...) were visiting Georgetown today.

Stay tuned for some additional photos of my encounter with stingrays and dolphins.