Friday, January 20, 2017

The Conch Republic (Key West, Florida)

The ship arrived in the southernmost part of the USA at sunrise. 

It’s a beautiful day, and my excursion begins later this morning (10:30 am).  The excursion is called "A Taste of Key West,” but since I had cleared customs I decided to take a walk from the dock down to Duval Street (the main downtown). 

This is my first trip to Key West, and the downtown lived up to the city’s reputation of be a little different. 
Here are a few of my photos from my morning walk.

The ship docks as the sun rises in Key West.

A neighboring island.

Three-dimensional artwork on the grounds of the local museum.

The iconic WWII photo reproduced as a larger-than-life sculpture.

Another shot of the local museum.  It stands out in the red brick from surrounding buildings.

A glance down Duvall Street. 

The Hard Rock Café on Duvall.

It looks like a former cinema has been transformed into a Walgreen's Pharmacy.