Monday, January 22, 2018

A few photos from my time on Robinson Crusoe Island

The welcome sign for the island (which is part Juan Fernando Archipelago).

A photo looking along the bay.

A large part of the island seems to be uninhabitable.

Lobster traps are in everyone's backyard.

All roads are uphill, and it serve as a evacuation for the tsunami.

Octopus and endemic fish "sushy" is on the menu.  Octopus patty?  I think I'll eat lunch on the ship today.

The local police were friendly.  I asked to take their picture and they insisted I take one with an officer.

The local police officers were friendly and helpful.

The bay must be pretty deep because the tender ride wasn't very long.

I wonder if these homes perched on the side of the mountain were the way of escaping any future tsunamis.

All of the streets are small and serve people, cars, and motorcycles.  Several dogs have taken a spot, too.

Tender boat or row boat back to the ship?  I believe I'll use the tender boat.

I've generally found that I can use US money or a credit card wherever I go, but today I had to get $20 worth of Chilean Pesos to purchase anything on the island.  Admission to the national park area was the equivalent of $8 US (5000 pesos). I loaned another guest enough money for mailing post cards while on the island.  Here's my change (4000 pesos) from the today that I'll use in another Chilean port.