Friday, January 12, 2018

Sea Day Reflections

Well, in less than one week we’ve already had two gala nights.  On the second gala night (Panama Hat Night) my table was joined by the assistant cruise director. He’s a young man from North Carolina.  He went to school in Boone (Appalachian), and his most recent land job was supervising “Scarowinds” at Carowinds.  He told us he broke up with his fiancé, went skydiving, and decided to see the world.  Seeing the world meant a job with Holland America. 

I sit with great folks each evening at dinner.  One is a retired college president who lives in Asheville, NC; she worked in Illinois and New Jersey and is a great conversationalist.  A lady, who joins us sporadically, is one of the originally inhabitants of the “Sun City” in Arizona.  The final regular is a retired engineer and sailor from Connecticut; he has interesting stories to tell about his trips at sea on his boat.  I enjoy my time with them each evening.
When I came aboard yesterday, the captain made an “all call” announcement throughout the ship.  He informed us that someone had brought the Norovirus aboard, and we would be taking extreme measure (Level Red) to prevent its spread.  So, there’s limited contact with any food (no self-serve of bread or coffee).  I see the crew disinfecting and wearing gloves.  I hope this will be effective in preventing the spread to other guests.  If we have large numbers who contract it, then we may not be allowed to disembark for tours.

One of my big tours begins Sunday.  January 14.  I leave for a three day trip that includes Machu Picchu on Monday.  I’ll rejoin the ship at San Martin, Peru, on Tuesday afternoon.  I’m restricted to two carryon bags, but I only have one small bag and a backpack so I’m glad it’s only for three days. 
Well, I need to get ready for the day of lectures and other activities.

The ms Prisendam is making its way to Peru.  Next stop is Callao/Lima, Peru.