Sunday, January 14, 2018

Lima to Cusco, Peru

The ship arrived early this morning in the port serving Lima.  My photos show the containers being moved from the cargo ships.  (Special Note:  Many of the private ports in South America nearest the large cities are being purchased by the Chinese.  They do not want cruise ships since they are not as “profitable” as container ships.  So, the cruise are having to use other ports further outside cities.)

Here are my photos of my trip from Lima to Cuzco.  We arrived by plane and then took a tour of the main square.  Cuzco is at 11,000 feet, so we have a special tea from the cocoa plant (the same that cocaine is derived – not drugs, just helps take care of the body’s adjustment to this altitude.  Lot of water is being forced into us, too.



We used a container port to dock outside of Lima, Peru.

Lima is getting ready for Papa Francisco, too.

Folks in Peru seem to leave their home unfinished and keep added a story upstairs.  It prevents them from paying taxes on a finished building.

The Cuzco airport is perched on top of the mountains at 11,000 feet.

The narrow streets of Cuzco were designed for pedestrians and llamas.

A view of the fountain in the central square of Cuzco.

One of the many beautiful cathedrals on the Cuzco Square.

Another view of the square.

These trees are native species that can grow at this high altitude.  The guide said they were related to tobacco.

Lots of flowers on the square.  Only the stray dogs seems to walk on the grassy areas.

Here I am on the square.  I do feel the difference in oxygen level at this altitude.  They tell us to walk slowly, drink lots and lots of water, and drink the cocoa tea (derived from the same plant as cocaine).

I purchased the "gold" package rather than the "silver" one.  Here's part of the lobby of our hotel.  It's amazing.

I entered my room.  Slippers and a robe were waiting on me.  The internet is so fast, too.,

The view from my rooftop balcony.  Some of the surrounding mountains are covered in snow.

Another view of my balcony.  There's no air conditioning because of the year-round temperature.  The bellman said they would bring a fan if it is required (I don't think it will be necessary).