Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Dallman Bay and Gerlache Strait, Antarctica

It’s hard to put into words a description of the beauty of Antarctica.  I don’t know enough superlatives, so I’ll let a few of my pictures do the job!


Hey, I really am in Antarctica!  I'm freezing and it's summer here!


Note the fluke of a humpback whale in the center of the photo.  They exhale and stick the fluke out of the water when making a deep dive.

There are lots of icebergs.  It's hard to determine the actual size in a photo.

The clouds and sunlight are beautiful against the mountains.



The hump of a humpback whale.

There was a loud roar, and everyone rushed to the port side.  It was a glacier calving.




The hotel director of the ship is getting a shot of the killer whales,.

A pod of killer whales is off the side of the ship.

Another shot of a killer whale.



I don't know that anyone will be taking a swim today.  Hot tub?

A pair of humpback whales are nearby.  You can actually here them exhale.





Next stop is Palmer Station to pick up an Antarctic station team who will be sharing information at 2:30 this afternoon.