Thursday, October 18, 2018

Forgoing an excursion in Shimizu, Japan

I did two day-long tours, and I’m tired.  So I decided to forgo my excursion (they did resell it so I got a refund) today to stay close to the port.  This will give me some time to recover from my time in Yokohama and Tokyo.

However, when I got up this morning, my left foot had turned red on top.  I had stumped my fourth toe a few days ago, and I knew it was now infected.  I visited the medical center at 8am, and I found the medical staff to be great on the Amsterdam.

Long story short, I’m giving up excursions for an additional two days in order to take an infusion of antibiotics to cure cellulitis (my second bout this year) along with oral medication.   The doctor wrote me a note for the excursion office, and I got refunds. 

I’ll miss by bullet train ride (Kobe, Japan) and some time at Kochi Castle and Katsurahama Beach (Kochi, Japan).  I’m okay with that… the goal is to improve so I can do my overland trip in China.

I’m feeling fine, but the doctor said the meds may upset my stomach.  I haven’t had any reactions yet (just a feeling of indigestion) and round two of the infusion will be done shortly. 

I did walk ashore to check out some of the shops in Shimizu.  They also did a send-off for us with fireworks. 

Here are a couple of the photos I took today.

As the passengers went ashore, the ship's crew completed a drill.

This is a beach town, and there's a shopping center, amusement park, and theaters outside the pier.

Shimizu is a busy port city, too.

You can see the mountains and the highways leading to the port.



The ship exited about 3pm, and I got this shot as we left the harbor for the Pacific Ocean.

Next stop is only a short distance away:  Kobe, Japan.