Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Yokohama Day 1: Viewing the “shy” Mt. Fuji

When you think of Japan, you think of Mt. Fuji (and possibly cherry blossoms).  So, I took a full day tour to Hakone National Park.  The park is about 90 minutes from Yokohama.  The guide told us to keep our fingers crossed because Mt. Fuji is shy and likes to hide.  Humidity and cloud cover can prevent you from viewing the mountain.

He told us to look for Mt. Fuji as we traveled toward the park.  The first snow, he said, fell last night and it should be visible on the mountain. We soon got a glimpse.  The sun was shining on the snowy top of the mountain.  However, as we made our way to the observation area on top of a nearby mountain (Mt. Komagatake), the clouds hid her from my view. 

The trip to view Mt. Fuji included a ride on Lake Hakone by boat, a ride up Mt. Komagatake, and lunch at a spa hotel/event center. 

The final stop was at the Hakone Open-Air Museum.  The Picasso Museum on the grounds of the sculpture garden has a two-story collection of Picasso’s work.  Unfortunately, no photos were allowed.


The bus brought us back to the ship, and the nine-hour tour meant most folks had very sore feet.  That was true for me… I wish I had taken advantage of the free hot springs for the feet at the museum.

I will have another opportunity to view Mt. Fuji and a future stop in Japan. 

Here are a few of my photos from the tour.

It was early morning as we moved from the Pacific into Yokahama Harbor.  The fishermen were up early.

The ship made it under the Yokohama Bridge with some room to spare.

The city of Yokohama from the port area by day.

My first glimpse of the elusive Mt. Fuji from the bus as we moved toward Hakone.


The folks were all crossing their fingers that the clouds would disapear.


The area is south of my last port of call, and you can see the leaves are just beginning to take on color.

A boat ride on this volcanic lake was nice and relaxing, but Mt. Fuji was hiding.

There are hot springs spas all around.  This is a hotel and event center.

The group had lunch here.

The boat we took for a scenic view of Lake Ashi.

Mt. Fuji from Lake Ashi.  I hope those clouds go away!

A glimpse of Mt. Fuji as I take the Mt. Komagatke Aerial Cableway.

Watch out for the Ninja Bus!  Note the propeller under the body of the bus.

It goes from land to water.

A view of the cablecar and the golf course below on Lake Ashi.

The shrine on top of the mountain was visible, but Mt. Fuji was hiding.

A traditional Japanese wedding kimono.

The hotel/event center had displays.  They'll do your entire wedding and packages are displayed.

A view of the Hakone Open-Air Museum.

Interesting (and some strange) sculptures are all around you

A museum worker is polishing a sculture as I pass by.

This is wonderful Picasso Museum.  Note the worker weeding the hillside outside the museum.

These folks were feeding the coy in the pond.  The fish were huge!

Is that the Death Star from Star Wars?

"Give me five!"

"Help!  I'm trapped in this sculpture," Part 1.

"Help!  I'm trapped in this sculpture," Part 2.

It was a perfect day for a walk through the sculpture garden, but my feet hurt!

The view of Yokohama from the ship by night.  I'm so glad I didn't sign up for a nighttime tour.  The 9 hour tour today was great, but I'm tired.