Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Making our way northwest to the Aleutian Islands…

The sun is shining, but it’s chilly. According to the ship’s live information, it’s in the 50s as we move northwest. I had to wear a jacket as I did my steps on the promenade deck around 9AM.

There are about 3 more days (1216 nautical miles according to the captain) to go before the ship reaches Dutch Harbor, Alaska. I went to a lecture today, but we didn’t learn too much about this part of Alaska. So, I spent a little time researching it. Wikipedia states, “Dutch Harbor is a harbor on Amaknak Island in Unalaska, Alaska. It was the location of the Battle of Dutch Harbor in June 1942, and was one of the few sites, besides the attack on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, in American territory to be bombed by the Japanese during World War II.”

When they speak of Dutch Harbor the folks mention the Discovery Channel because the reality series Deadliest Catch is filmed in the area. I’ve never really watched the show, but I’ll definitely check it out when I return home.

This part of the Aleutian Islands are home to the crabbing industry. The crab from this area of Dutch Harbor/Unalaska are highly prized throughout the world.

It’s a remote area (as can be seen in the satellite and road map images). There are no tours, but passengers from our ship will be able to go ashore and tour the local downtown. I’m hopeful the weather will be good. The lecturer mentioned that it was raining during the last two times the Amsterdam docked.

The captain also mentioned that we will turn our clocks back an hour tonight.  So the ship's time will be four hours behind that of those in South Carolina.

The ship is presently southwest of Victoria, Canada.

Dutch Harbor is the only place other than Pearl Harbor bombed by the Japanese in WWII.

There appear to be a number of mountains.  Here's hoping I get some good photos as we arrive on Saturday.

I hope the weather will be good during the brief stop in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.