Friday, October 12, 2018

Preparing for arrival in Japan...

💌 Special Note to Mom:  I'm so sorry you're not feeling well, and I hope you'll soon be feeling much better.  I send my love, thoughts, best wishes, and prayers to you.  I hope you'll soon be able to go home. 💗🙏🤞

First stop will be in the city of Kushiro on the northern-most island of Japan (Hokkaido).

The ship arrives on the northern most island of Japan.  Kushiro is on the island of Hokkaido, and this is the most rural of the four Japanese main islands.  This is a part of Japan that had indigenous people, and I will be traveling to see the Ainu village.  Their culture is very different and includes women with tattoes around the mouth.  The skin color is different from ethnic Japanese, too.  I look forward to learning about this group of people tomorrow.


In order to prepare for some of our ports of call I exchanged some dollars for yen.  I generally use my credit card, but since the ship will be in several ports I figured it would be good to have some yen on hand.  It’s an easy conversion.  Take the yen and add a decimal before the last two zeroes.  So 1000 yen is roughly $10.00.  

1000 Yen = $10 US