Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Arrival in St. Pierre and Miquelon (France)

I had not heard of the island/nation of St. Pierre and Miquelon.  It consists of islands near Newfoundland and Labrador in the Gulf of St. Lawrence.  These islands were part of New France in the days of exploration, and the area is still part of the France as a self-governing island.  It is not part of Canada.  

I learned yesterday that Newfoundland was independent but a part of the British Empire.  It eventually became part of Canada.  

The folks living on these island, St. Pierre and Miquelon, are French citizens.  So, France still has land in North Atlantic of North America in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. 

I’m scheduled for a zodiac ride around the islands this afternoon.  It looks like the sun is breaking through the morning clouds.  It should be a beautiful day for a ride around this French territory.  Stay tuned…

I learn new things all the time.  This is part of France, and it is in the North Atlantic.

The first tender goes in to prepare for the day.

I'm hoping that the morning fog and clouds will burn off later this morning.

The transfer from ship to shore has begun.  One tender in and one returning to the ship.

There are several lighthouses in the harbor.

This is the view from my cabin's veranda.

This looks like the dock for cruise ships.  I guess the Nieuw Statendam is too big.



I'm scheduled to take a Zodiac ride later today.  Here's a picture of two  Zodiacs in the harbor this morning.  My last time on a Zodiac was in Alaska in 2014.  There was a convoy of these inflatable motorboats led by a guide in the waters of Ketchikan, Alaska.  I was driving my boat, and you can see the pictures by clicking here.  I hope I'm just along for the ride today.