Thursday, August 25, 2022

Harbor Cruise in Halifax

I took the harbor cruise from the port.  It was a crowded boat, so I had some difficulty getting good shots.  One husband and wife with seats facing the water decided to stand the entire time.  This blocked me from taking shots.  We had lunch on the boat downstairs, and I could move around and get a few shots from the harbor.

Halifax has a wonderful harbor walk with shops, restaurants, and museums. I enjoyed this as I walked back to the ship after a lobster lunch.

The excursion description said we would be on a lobster boat.  I don't think this is a lobster boat, but it was our ride in the Halifax harbor.

this lighthouse was in the harbor but has been decommissioned.

Here's my ride:  the ms Nieuw Statendam.  It's in the pinnacle class which is the largest ships in the HAL fleet.

The Nieuw Statendam on the right and the Zaandam on the left.  The Zaandam is in the "Rotterdam" class which are the smallest ships in the HAL fleet.

Not much aquatic life was visible.  Here's a seal that stuck his head out of the water as we passed by.

This island is a park in the harbor that is protected.  It doesn't belong to Canada, but is leased for 1000 years from Britain for 1 pound per year.

I don't know who these guys were as we sailed past, but they kind of look official.

The only other wildlife visible were various bird species.

The Halifax port is a busy port that handles lot of goods from Europe.  These are all BMWs and Mercedes that were unloaded and will be transported across Canada.

The port also has lots of sailboats.

Arnetta, the tour guide, holds a lobster that escaped the cooking pot for the meal that was to come next.