Saturday, August 20, 2022

The party is over in one week…

 The grim reality is setting in.  The cruise ends in one week today.  I will have to pack up all my stuff and get ready for my trip home.  I hate packing!

Today is a sea day, and it’s a “foghorn” day so far.  The ship is surrounded by the fog of the North Atlantic, and the foghorn seems to be blowing every few minutes.  The Nieuw Statendam is equipped to handle it since it is one of the newest ships in the fleet of Holland America.

My room is nice, and I’m including a few shots for my blog today.  The food is absolutely delicious, and I eat most meals in the dining room.  However, when there’s a fast lunch my go-to place is the “Dive In.”  I love the hot dogs they serve.  I know it’s not a healthy lunch, but it is so good.

The cruise has required me to be very active, and I am meeting my activity goals at the 200% level.  Each day I walk over five miles and 10,000 steps.  So, there’s a good side to being on a cruise ship.

Tomorrow, I have a tour in St. Anthony, Newfoundland.  The tour is called L’Anse aux Meadows:  A Viking Experience.  The area is an archaeological site that has been excavated since the 1960s.  There are remains of Viking explorers from one thousand years ago.  It should be interesting.

Well, I’m off to hear two lectures this morning.

Here's my home away-from-home on the Nieuw Statendam.

Each cabin has a large flat screen entertainment system with access to live TV and to recorded movies.

My room is a small interior room, but I like that.  The ship holds over 2666 and was christened by Oprah Winfrey in 2019,

In addition to the bar area, I have a wall of closets and draws.  The drawers are of the soft-close variety.  I wish I had soft-close drawers in my cottage.


My favorite lunch when I must do lunch in a hurry.  It's the "Dive In Dog" with fries.  It may not be healthy, but it is said that Betty White ate a hot dog each working day for lunch prepared by the caterers.  She almost live to be 100.