Wednesday, August 3, 2022

The big battle is getting there…

I had no problems with the airlines.  All flights went as scheduled.  All passengers were well behaved.  A small number of folks wore masks, and I was in that group.  My philosophy is better safe than sorry.

Travel went as planned, but I still had an eventful day.  I’m getting older, and I could tell I’m slowing down.  First, it was the final day of class with my summer school economics class.  It was busy.  Student (and parents) were panicking because all work had to be finalized and submitted by 11:59 PM on August 1.  The phone rang with students needing help.  Some even called to ask me which assignment they could do again (they should be able to see that for themselves in the learning management system) to boost their average before the exam. 

I decided to take a nap.  I fell asleep, and the phone rang.  It was a parent who wanted a little assistance for her son.  I then concentrated on grading the final assignments until a little after midnight.  I had to be at the airport at 4 AM, so again I tried to nap.

Before napping I had to take my nighttime meds, and I overdosed my meds for the night.  I keep my meds in one of those containers for all pills for the week by day.  I was groggy and I ended up opening two of the segments and gulping down the handful of pills all at once.  I then realized what I had done.  So, I figured I would take my daytime meds the next night. 

After a couple of hours sleep, I headed to the airport at 3:30 AM.  I live 6.7 miles so I had plenty of time.  I parked in the garage which had been prearranged (you get a cheaper rate for parking that’s prearranged).  I lugged my luggage to the ticket counter.  No waiting.  Folks at the counter were extremely nice.  I lifted my carry-on bag and the zipper broke open.  My computer came out and hit the floor along with my camera.  I figured they were now going to be useless on the trip.  The agent was wonderful and patient.  The agents helped me get the zipper on this new bag back together.  The agent offered to check it for free along with my other free checked bags.  I checked the bag, but soon remembered I had left all paperwork in the car.  No problem the agent said.  I handed her my passport and she gave my boarding pass.

I left the terminal back for the short walk to my car.  I picked up my paperwork for the trip, and I was back off to security.  I heard a familiar beep in my pocket as I easily passed through security.  All of the earlier commotion had triggered a drop in my sugar levels.  My sugar level was 60, and the alarms on my phone and receiver were blaring.  The answer to this was problem was a glass of orange juice.  Orange juice is loaded with sugar and I knew it would instantly bring up my sugar levels.  The only food vendor open for breakfast didn’t have orange juice.  I went to the drink machine and purchased a Mountain Dew with all the calories and all the caffeine.  That worked.  I have glucose pills, but they were in my carry-on bag that had been checked.

I made it to La Guardia in New York City.  No delays. 

I got off the plane and made my way for my next flight to Boston.  I heard that familiar beep.  Sugar levels dropping fast.  My Mountain Dew had worn off.  I found the first restaurant that served breakfast.  A kind waiter helped me order (you have to do it online with an app).  He brought me my glass of orange juice.  Soon the beeping stopped.  I ate my $36 breakfast, but I was glad to enjoy it and stop that beeping sound in my pocket.

I made it to my gate.  I decided I was not going to move until the plane loaded a couple of hours later.  I did people watching in the interim.  So many families with young kids were around me.  Then I noticed that the flight at the next gate was going to Orlando.  They were going to those theme parts in Florida.  That’s why they all had smiles on their faces.

No issues with luggage.  They were among the first to come out and onto the conveyor belt in Boston.  I made it to my Boston hotel room.  I checked my camera.  I took a picture.  It worked!  I next fired up my new laptop computer.  It worked, too.  They talk about technology that can take a lot abuse; they were right, my Nikon and Lenovo Yoga were tough.

I got caught up with sleep after my room service dinner.  I will soon be heading to the cruise port.  My boarding time is 12:40 pm.  I can then wait for my luggage and unpack for the next 24 days.

Despite all of the horror stories about the airlines and travel in the USA, things went well.  No problems, no delays, no passengers being arrested.

I pondered the problems of my travel.  They were all related to my aging body.  This experience let me know if I want to continue to travel, I had better work on my diet and exercise!