Saturday, August 13, 2022

Venturing outside of the city of Akureyri, Iceland

 I ventured outside of Akureyri, Iceland, today.  I wanted to see some of the lava fields, a famous waterfall, and the bubbling hot water springs nearby.  Here's my day in pictures:

The Fnjoskadalur Valley, where clear geological remains of glacial and post-glacial times.

There are paths among the labyrinth of stone magma structures that were formed here.

Much of the area looks like another planet.

Next, drive directly to the Lake Myvatn area, stopping to view the rather unusual craters at Skutustadir.

Water seeping from the ground is boiling and releases steam.

Note the people who climbed to the top of this mountain. It kind of looks like you are on Mars.

The area has a distinct smell of sulfur.  At all of these places there were flies that would get in your ears and land on your head.  They did not bite, but were a nusiance.

I didn't venture as close as these folks to the boiling pools of water.

Iceland has been able to harness the energy from hydro dams to natural steam to generate very cheap engergy for the citizens of the country,

A closeup look at the lava flow.

The next stop was Godafoss Falls.  

The falls were beautiful.

Another view of the falls.

The water of the river Skjálfandafljót falls from a height of 39 feet over a width of 98 feet..

There is argument over the meaning of the name: it is "waterfall of the goð (pagan idols)" or "waterfall of the goði (chieftain)." 

It was great to get back to the ship after a long and very busy day.

When I returned to my stateroom I had a certificate for crossing the Arctic Circle the night before.  I've not crossed both the Arctic and Antarctic Circles in my travels.