Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Leg #1 of Amtrak Vacation: Columbia to Washington, DC

The train was about an hour late reaching Columbia. I arrived early, and only a brother and sister were waiting. They had arrived when the southward train dropped off at 2am. The two Amtrak clerks were friendly, and helped explain how things would work. They even explained that I would board in a different area next to the dining car when it was time.

The train arrived, and I went to my bedroom. The attendant, Eddie, had prepared it thinking I would sleep. However, I wanted to see the sights. It was great to see the room in this configuration because I knew I wouldn’t want this when it was time to sleep. He quickly reverted the room back to its daytime configuration.

The train’s lateness worked to my advantage. I knew I would want to see Old St. David’s Church as we made our way through Cheraw, SC. I lived in Cheraw for almost 15 years, and for four years I took 3rd graders on a walking tour of the town. Old St. David’s was right up the street from our school. You can read about the church and the cemetery by clicking here and here. The tracks go right by the church and cemetery, and I was positioned just right to see it.


Old St. David's Church, Cheraw, SC (picture thanks to Google)

I didn’t take any pictures on the first leg, but here are a few I obtained online.  The car windows were dirty, but the view of St. David’s at sunrise was mesmerizing, and it brought back so many memories.  There are British soldiers’ graves in the cemetery from the battles in the Revolutionary War in this area (Pee Dee River) of the state.  It was fun giving the kids a history lesson using tombstones and the church.


This marker shows where British Soldiers fighting against the Colonists are buried.


I made it safely to Washington, DC about an hour late.  I was just in time for the second leg of my trip.  I made it to the gate and track and it was all aboard for Leg #2.