Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Leg #2 of my Amtrak Vacation: DC to Chicago

The second trip was on a much bigger train.  My sleeping room was on the second floor of the railroad car.  I decided to leave my luggage in the first level storage area.  I knew it would be too difficult to get it upstairs on that narrow winding staircase.  

I did take a photo of my room, and you can see it below.  I knew from the first leg that I wouldn’t have the room turned into a “bed.”  I decided I would just lie on the couch which was long enough for my entire body with the provided pillows and blanket.  This provided more room to walk around in the night.  


My seat while on Leg #2 of the trip.  I was looking at the menu to give my dinner order.

The restroom and shower (one complete unit) is about the size of a cruise ship’s shower.  I am a big guy, and I knew I wasn’t going to use the facilities for showering.  I’d wait until I got to my hotel the next day.


Carlos was my room attendant, and he was fantastic and so helpful.  I cannot complain about the Amtrak staff (that’s not so true for the airline folks I’ve had “help” me in the past) so far.  Also, they constantly remind folks to wear their face masks (train wide announcements are made several times during the trip).


Masks were required at all times.  The exception was when eating/drinking and with a closed bedroom/roomette.  Announcements were made frequently as a reminder.

With the pandemic, the meals are now prepackaged.  You have a choice, and each of the offerings are very good.  I had the vegetarian burritos that were tasty at lunch, the meatballs and pasta were a nice dinner selection, and I’ve had two breakfast meals with coffee that tasted great.  So, the food may no longer be cooked in the dining car, but it’s good.  


The food was tasty on Leg #1 and Leg #2 of the trip.


The train was about two hours late.  We did a good bit of stopping periodically on the tracks.  The engineer announced that we were delayed due to freight traffic on the railroad lines.  However, we safely arrived at Union Square in downtown Chicago.  I’m off to my hotel.