Friday, January 20, 2017

A Taste of Key West...


Our group met our guide on the pier outside of the ship.  She was going to take us to three sites to get a taste of Key West. 
The first stop was at the Smokin’ Tuna Lounge where we sampled shrimp ceviche, smoked tuna fish dip, and golden-fried conch fritters.  I also had a little drink refreshment with the meal.  The food was great!

We moved on down Greene Street to Peppers of Key West.  They have aware-winning hot sauces and salsas.  We tasted progressively hotter sauces.  I really enjoyed one of the hotter sauces that tasted like a chilidog with lots of cumin.

We left to move to our final stop on the “taste of Key West tour.”  The final stop, Kermit’s Key Lime Shop, had lots of samples of cookies, fudge, and candies made with key lime.  The main choice for us was traditional key lime pie or a frozen chocolate covered key lime slice on a stick.  I choice the chocolate key lime.  It was delicious. 

I enjoyed my time in Key West today; however, I’ll be back for another visit on Sunday.

Cubans were creative in making boats to escape Cuba for Key West.

Here's one of the boats made with 55-gallon barrels.  A truck engine provided the power.

First stop:  Smokin' Tuna Saloon

Shrimp ceviche, smoked tuna fish dip, and golden-fried conch fritters were on the menu.

A "husband daycare center" (a bar and strip club) was next door to the restaurant.

We moved up the street for the next taste of the city.

Warehouses of the past have found new purpose.

Here I am at "Peppers" ready to taste hot sauces.

Our final stop on the tour was to taste everything that uses key limes.  The chocolate covered key lime pie was wonderful, and it helped me cool my mouth from those hot sauces.