Friday, January 6, 2017

Arriving a day early in Fort Lauderdale…


I arrived in to Fort Lauderdale a day early.  I changed my flight to leave on Thursday rather than the original day (Friday).  With ominous weather in the forecast, I was able to come in and stay an extra day prior to my cruise.  As I write this, I’m so glad I did.  There’s been a shooting at the Delta baggage area at the airport.  The airport is shut down and flights are being diverted to other areas.  It’s a major mess at the airport with loads of folks arriving for various cruises leaving tomorrow.
I heard about this shooting as I was returning from a leisurely cruise of the canals and inter-coastal waterways where the rich and famous of FLL live.  The cab driver got a call to make sure he wasn’t at the airport.  When I downloaded these photos, the local TV news had video of folks running on the runways of the airport.  Let’s hope it’s not that bad. 

Well, here are my photos I took before the bad local events of the day.

Remember "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous" with Robin Leach? 

The view from my hotel room's balcony.  You can see the causeway in the distance.

This is the estate of the gentleman who owns the Miami Dolphins.

It may be hard to see, but there dolphins (sculpture) in the center of the photo next to the hedges leading to the pool.

This is a bachelor's pad that costs over $20 million.  It has one bedroom in all of that square footage!

Fort Lauderdale is known as the Venice of America's east coast.  The canals are now where the rich and famous live.

This home is known as the "White House" of Fort Lauderdale.


Nova Southeastern University has a prime spot.  I known many folks who paid tuition to NSE, and they helped build this site!


Steven Spielberg comes to FLL for the holidays each year.  Here's his yacht, The 7 Seas, which is one of the biggest in the world.

This is the size yacht I may be able to purchase if I sold my house!

Another of the biggest yachts in the world.  The owner is visiting here from a European County.  Not the speed boat being deployed from the hull.