Friday, January 27, 2017

Final Day: A third trip to the beautiful island of Half Moon Cay

My final stop on the cruise was Half Moon Cay, or Little San Salvador Island.  It is part of the Bahamas.  It is a private island, owned by Holland America Line, that it purchased in 1996 for $6 million.  That explains our stop each week as we've left or returned to Florida.  It's a beautiful island.

Click to enlarge this slide.

My main activity today was to explore the island by bicycle.  I was on the tour with a couple from Wisconsin.  We learned about the natural surroundings.  It's true ... once you learn to ride a bike you never forget! 

Here are a few of my shots from the day.

Folks were heading off for various excursions.  My tour was within walking distance... a bike ride on the island.

One of the stops on the bike ride was where they keep the horses.  These folks are learning/preparing for a ride on the beach.

I took this tour with a couple from Wisconsin.  The guide is telling us a little about the size of the island here.

The beach is truly beautiful on this island.

The riders, having mastered the skills, set out on their tour of the island.

We stopped along the beach, and the guide took this photo of me with the Eurodam in the background.

The plants were truly beautiful, and they've even placed shells to mark the path.

My bike awaits me.  It's a good thing it was an "old-style" bike like its rider.

We also stopped by the area where I rode the jet ski two weeks ago, but to note the sea life.

Note the jellyfish in the shallow water.  This type doesn't sting.

A stingray and tropical fish seem to be getting along.

Here's a female sting ray swimming in the shallow water.

After the bike ride, it was "beach time" for me.  I had a few margaritas in that beach chair,  and I took a few dips in that clear, cool water.