Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Still cloudy and foggy…

As we proceed north along the Pacific coast to Alaska, the weather continues to be overcast.  The fog is not as bad as it was on Day 1, but there’s still few photo opportunities on the outside. 

This is my second long trip on the Amsterdam, and Holland America has completed lots of cosmetic upgrades since my last trip in 2015.  There’s new carpet and furniture everywhere.  They’ve upgraded the internet, but it’s still slow and problematic, which is typical for satellite internet.

I have fixed seating for dinner at a table for six.  There are two Canadian couples that sit at my table.  One couple is semi-retired, and they sold their travel agency a few years ago.  They are serving as a host couple for a consortium of travel agencies, and they meet and assist a group of travelers on the ship periodically.  Such service means they get a discount on the travel.  The other couple is retired and have been married for over 50 years; they love to travel and did this same cruise last year. There’s a sixth person assigned to our table, but they have not joined the group at this point.

The first “gala” night is tomorrow evening.  So, I guess I’ll have to pull out that tuxedo and put it on the captain’s reception and dinner.

The ship distributed the first of its grand voyage gifts last night.  The gifts are a part of the turn-down service on periodic evenings with a note from the captain.  Last night it was a nice messenger style bag to carry items ashore.  We received the same item on the South America/Antarctica Grand Tour earlier this year.  The bag will be very useful on the various excursions.

It’s been nice with the leisurely pace of this voyage.  I’ve continued to have a little trouble with my left foot swelling after walking or sitting for extended periods, and I’m minimizing walking and keeping it elevated at night.  I’m going to have a reflexology session today, and I’m hoping this massage of my feet will be beneficial.  I know it will feel good!