Sunday, February 15, 2015

Adelaide, Australia: 102 degrees in the shade

I saw in the papers back home that ice and snow are predicted in a few days.  Well, on Sunday, February 15, it’s 102 degrees in the shade in Adelaide, Australia. 

The ship arrived at 8am, and I took a tour of Port Adelaide (where we docked), Adelaide, and the mountains outside the city.  The tour was about 8 hours in length, and I’m tired as I post this blog entry.

The tour included time to see the sights of Adelaide, a visit the Cleland Wildlife Park, a view the area from Mount Lofty with a nice lunch, and then about two hours to visit museums (free for everything but special exhibits) and the pedestrian shopping district (Rundle Mall) of Adelaide (I even went to Target and K-Mart).

Here are just a few of my shots from today’s visit.

That's a Tasmanian Devil.  It went round and round, but not like the cartoon variety.

The forest of the Cleland Wildlife Park is mostly eucalyptus trees which can withstand the drought conditions of this part of Australia.

This fellow was ready for his closeup.  He might be one of the few who enjoyed the 102 degree temperature.

This joey followed me around for a while.  He lost interest after I didn't provide him any kangaroo food.

I watched this guy have a disagreement with a family of ducks.  Those ducks didn't back off!

The view from Mount Lofty.  That's the city of Adelaide below.

That's not a rat at my feet, but a marsupial called the bandicoot.

Here's the view from the summit of Mount Lofty.  The group had a great lunch at the restaurant and this view couldn't be beat.

I visited one of the South Australian Galleries and loved the exhibits from the aborigines (relics and artwork).

One of the exhibits of Aboriginal art.  These are heads that would likely serve as art in a dwelling.