Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Auckland, New Zealand – Day 1

The ship arrived this morning about 8 AM, and I had a great tour of two major sites in the city.

The group boarded the bus and headed for Kelly Tarlton’s Sea Life Aquarium.  This has a recreation of the Antarctic expedition of Captain Robert Scott.  It also is home to New Zealand’s only sub-Antarctic penguins. 

The next stop was the Sky Tower.  This provides an observation deck.  There are also “walkers” and “jumpers” from the tower.  I got a fast glimpse of a “jumper” and I’ve shared the photo below.  The Sky Tower is the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere at 1072 feet. 

After these two visits, I decided to walk back to the ship which is located right downtown.  I plan to venture back downtown later this afternoon for some sightseeing. 

This replica of a shark is massive.  You get an understanding with the young child playing (he even climbed in the mouth).

These penguins were real showoffs.  They are so much bigger than I expected.  I have video of them for posting when I return home.

This is the downtown of Auckland that I took as the ms Amsterdam pulled into the harbor.

Auckland's weather was perfect.  It was about 72 and almost no humidity on this sunny morning.

I wasn't fast enough to catch a good picture of a "jumper," but if you look at the bottom center you can see his head and arm (yellow) as he plummets past from off the top of the tower.

A picture of my feet as I stand on the glass holding me up over 1000 feet. 
The Sea Life Aquarium is both under the water and underground.  Photos of the sharks, sting rays, and other creatures are not so great (the lighting and motion), but I have wonderful video of the sea life swimming above and around me.