Sunday, February 1, 2015

Tonga: A day of beaches, blowholes, bats, and burial grounds!

I'm writing this on Monday afternoon (Feb. 2) as I watch the Super Bowl live on TV.  We're six hours behind SC, but one day ahead.  Rita Rudner, a comedian entertaining us on the ship during this segment, said it was the only place you could watch the Super Bowl live on January 32!

I spent the day visiting beaches, blowholes, flying fox bats, and burial grounds all across the main island of Tonga.  Here are my shots that I took today.

We've had great entertainers on the trip.  That's Rita Rudner posing for me as folks prepare for an island tour.  She's on this segment with her husband and 12-year-old daughter (the daughter opens her mother's act with a few songs).

One of the attractions to see are the blowholes.  I missed the biggest part of the splash ... just not fast enough.

The spray from a blowhole.  Our guide said folks used to take showers this way.

Flying Fox Bats are found in the trees.  I got video of them flying around, but could only capture the sleepers in the trees in a photo.

We saw lots of graveyards and an actual funeral underway.  The Tongans cover the grave (often with blankets, too) to keep the dead warm.

We were slated to visit a beach resort, but it wasn't like your typical beach resort in the states.

The resort was rustic, and I had a relaxing time at the 'Otuhaka Beach Resort.

The natural beauty of the beach resort grounds.

I waded into the Pacific, but the rocks were slippery.