Monday, February 19, 2018

Casting no shadow…

Well, I wanted this to be a productive day at sea today.  After a lecture on northeastern Brazil (interesting because it’s actually mostly desert instead of a jungle), I went back to my cabin to pack away all of my winter gear.  The scarf, gloves, coats, etc. were packed in a suitcase for my trip home in early March.

As I packed (a little after 11am), the captain made a rare “all call” announcement.  He noted, that for people living in the zone between 23.5 degrees above/below the equator, the sun’s declination will equal the latitude two times per year.  On these two days, the sun will be exactly overhead and you will not cast a shadow (an object on the ground’s shadow would be underneath since the sun is directly overhead).  Today was one of those two days in our exact location on the earth. 
Cool… even as big as I am, I couldn’t cast a shadow for a short period of time today.
"Where should you go on the earth if you want to cast no shadow at noon? That depends on the time of year. On June 21 (summer solstice), you want to be at 23.5°N (Tropic of Cancer); on December 21 (winter solstice), you want to be at 23.5°S (Tropic of Capricorn). On March 21 and September 21 (the vernal and autumnal equinoxes, respectively), you want to be at the equator. Any other date in the year, you’ll need to travel somewhere between these latitudes. The sun is never directly overhead for latitudes greater than 23.5°N or 23.5°S latitude."