Thursday, February 15, 2018

Rio Day 2 and a Change in Plans…

After the first day in Rio, the ship had a wonderful celebration with a performance of a local Brazilian troop.  It was the Carnival Celebration on board!

I went back to my room and I saw the disturbing news regarding the school shooting in Florida.  I was wide awake and I couldn’t sleep.  At about 4am, I called the front office to cancel my planned excursion to the beach.  I finally got to sleep and didn’t get up until 9am. 
I decided I would take a walk outside the port to the Museum of Tomorrow (Museu do Amanha).  The concept is to help humans coexist and sustainability.  The opening video takes place in a dome and surrounds you.  Unfortunately, it was entirely in Portuguese.  I did, however, have a magnetic card that would have many of the displays describe itself in English. 

It was an interesting way to spend the morning.

The walk along the port corridor has a beautiful mural representing people from around the world.

The space where the LRT (Light Rail Transit) was once a road.  It was filled in to make the area more pedestrian friendly.

The area along the port is controlled/patrolled by the national police.  Here’s there headquarters.

Every few feet you see officers on patrol.  There’s lot of work, and I believe the workers must be those who are incarcerated.

The port corridor ends at the museum.  It’s a very modern design with lots of glass.

The museum is beautiful and you notice the windows and the round globe that projects images of the earth.

The globe display varies with changes in the continents over time.


Folks tend to lie down to view the video screens.  They are massive.

Another one of the video exhibits.

This work of art was striking in that it constantly change color with the lights embedded in the walls.

If you have lots of glass, you better have plenty of window washers.  The Prisendam can be seen docked in the port.

This is one of the outside artwork displays that overlooks the harbor area.

A close up look at the sculpture.  I’m not sure what it represents.

I stroll back along the port area.  You can see more workers in heavy uniforms.  Are they convicts?  Officers are all around.

Back past the mural (and street vendors).  They told us in a lecture that it that the mural was the world’s longest (in length).

Back to my temporary home.  We set sail at 5:30pm (2:30pm back home).  I hope to get the pictures I missed during the arrival later this afternoon.