Thursday, February 8, 2018

Montevideo, Uruguay

I loved my time in cold Antarctica, but I’m really happy to be back in the warm climate of South America.  In Montevideo today the temperature is expected to be 83oF and humid. 

I took a few photos during our arrival in this South American city.  My tour of the old city is later this afternoon.

With the docking, comes the buses (and taxis) for excursions.


The captain (sunglasses, arms folded) on the wing bridge after a successful docking.

Montevideo is the largest city in Uruguay.  Uruguay is about the size of England and Wales and has less people than South Carolina (less than 3 million).  It is on  the Rio de la Plata and only a short distance to Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I see one modern skyscraper-type building from the port.

Right outside the harbor is a ship graveyard.

These ships are deposited here, and an Indian company recycles the metal.

I thought the ship graveyard an interesting sight as we docked.  It's kind of sad to see the abandoned ships.

We are docked next to several ships from the Uruguay Navy.

Across the bay you can see a monument and a soccer stadium on this beautiful day.