Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A small taste of Turkey...

I spent today in the port city of Kusadasi and the small farming village of Sirince. I really enjoyed my time in Turkey.  This was my third trip to the country by way of a cruise ship.

The ruins of Ephesus are seen in the distance.  This is the forum that was used for governmental purposes.

The road to Mary's House has a statute to the Virgin Mary.  Mary settled in Ephesus later in life.

Our small tour group (10 folks) stopped near Ephesus on the way to Sinrince, Turkey.  You can see the entrance to the ruins in the background.

The sea coast once extended to this area.  It is now fertile soil that is used for many crops (especially peaches and olives).

This is one of the rooms in the former school (now a restaurant).  Note the "table" on the floor that would be used at mealtimes.

Turkish coffee is really strong.  A fortune teller was reading the coffee grounds once we finished.  I passed on this opportunity to find out about my future.


We enjoyed a coffee break in this former school that has become a restaurant.

I enjoyed walking the streets of this Turkish city.  The shops were full of goods (especially handmade items of lace, silk, and leather).

You better watch your step on these village streets.  The city is carved into the hillside and you either go up or down.


Sirince is a beautiful farming village, and many artists and writers have moved here for the view and temperature.

Dogs seem to like to sleep in the middle of the street in this lazy town.

The city of Sirince seems pretty laid back.  Note the folks enjoying the benches around the bust of Kemal Attaturk.


A view of the fields in Sirince.  The peach trees were in bloom.  Olive trees were all around on the hillsides.

The small guest houses would be a great location to relax for a few days.  The ducks could keep you company.


I was "dog-tired" before lunch, but I didn't make these guys move so I could sit down.   These guys reminded me of our bulldog, Pam, when I was a kid.


We were welcomed into a Turkish home for lunch.  This is the lady who prepared our meal.  We had to leave our shoes out on the porch to enter and dine.

Here's my lunch plate.  The Turkish food was delicious. 

When I got back to Kusadasi, I walked along the promenade.  The pigeon is a symbol of the city.  That's the ms Amsterdam in the background.

You can see the fort high on the hill overlooking the harbor.

This is Pigeon Island which symbolizes the city of Kusadasi, Turkey.