Sunday, April 12, 2015

Final stop in Greece: Katakolon, Greece

Well, today is the final day in Greece.  It's Easter Sunday according to the Greek Orthodox Church so many of the historical sites (Olympia - ruins of the ancient games/stadium) are closed.  I've been to the little seaside village of Katakolon, Greece, a couple of years ago, and I had previously visited Olympia.

It was great to spend time today just wandering around the town.  The shops were open since the ms Amsterdam was in the harbor.  I took time to purchase a few souvenirs to help the Greek economy.

I've enjoyed my time in Greece during the holiday weekend.

The ship is arriving in Katakolon, Greece.  It's a beautiful seaside village that provides easy access to the ancient Olympic stadium ruins.

Everything was beautiful on this spring morning.  The temperature was to get up to the low 70s.


Restaurants dot the street facing the harbor.  The main shopping street is on the other side of these restaurants.

The little park  was dedicated to some individual ... unfortunately I cannot read Greek.

Souvenir, leather, jewelry, and art work shops are all along the main street of the town.  I spent a few Euros, too.


Katakolon, Greece is the home of a the nearest deep water port to Ancient Olympia.
Afternoon Update:

After lunch, I decided to take a walk to the rocky beach area near the harbor.  The water of the Aegean Sea was crystal clear.  Here are my photos from my afternoon walk in Katakolon.

A view of the crystal-clear waters of the Aegean in Greece.

Although it was rocky, it would be a great place to spend a summer afternoon.

I wanted to wade into the water, but I didn't want to have to deal with sandy feet walking back to the ship.

Any swimming on this beach would require swim shoes with so many rocks!


As I was walking back to the ship, I took this picture of the ms Amsterdam.  I've taken quite a few over the voyage.