Friday, April 3, 2015

The ship has entered the canal...

Well, the ms Amsterdam finally made some movement toward the town of Suez and entry into the Suez Canal.  We were number 27 in line, and the Princess cruise ship was to follow us.  Here are a few photos, and the canal was different than I expected.

I only have a few photos because my new camera died.  I dropped it; it worked fine until today.  Oh well, I'm glad I brought my trusty old camera with me as a backup.  I will be using it in the Mediterranean and the remainder of the around the world cruise.


The cargo ships started lining up to go through the canal around 11am.  The captain said the cruise ships were usually a priority, but not today.  We were #27 in line to enter the canal.



The anchors went up around 2:30pm, but we didn't start moving until around 3:30pm.  Here we are making our way toward the city of Suez.


We're in the canal.  Only a few photos were registering in the camera.  These are the ones that survived.  Here's the mosque in the city of Suez, Egypt.


The ms Amsterdam is beginning the trek.  The canal is a little over 100 miles long, and only about 47 ships can make the journey in the typical day.

Here's what the beginning miles of the Suez Canal look like.  It's kind of like a river.


There are guard houses along the way.  This one is on the Sinai Peninsula side of the canal.
 

A satellite image of the canal compliments of Google.  We enter from the south and moving north to Port Said in the Mediterranean.