Thursday, April 23, 2015

Ponta Delgada, Azores

It’s my second day in Ponta Delgada, and I took time to wander around the town and take a few more photos of the city.  The black and white tile paving throughout the city is distinctly Portuguese with its geometric shapes.  The town is filled with wonderful squares and historic churches.  There’s a fortress on the harbor that now serves as a military museum.  There’s a war memorial to those killed in the Portuguese Army in World War I.  People moved to this island and have had to migrate to other locations (many to the US) during difficult times, and there’s a statue to commemorate those who have migrated. 

This is our final port of call on the around the world journey, and I took one final snapshot of the ship which begins the six day journey to cross the Atlantic this afternoon.  Now the packing must begin in my stateroom!