Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Don’t forget the “PIN”


America has finally added the “chip” technology that Europe has had for many years with credit cards.  However, in America we don’t need a “PIN” unless we’re using our credit card in an ATM.  That’s not true in Europe, where every transaction with a “chip” card requires inputting a pin to complete the transaction.
Well, I didn’t think about that before leaving.  When I traveled last year on my around the world cruise, none of my cards had a “chip.”  They would “swipe” the card and require a signature.
Things now are different since we have cards with those chips.  My first transaction at a restaurant in Amsterdam I had to use some of my few Euros because they couldn’t take my credit card.  No PIN, no transaction.
I was able to create (or update) a PIN for one of my credit cards when I returned to my hotel via the bank website.   Thank you Barclays Bank (my American Airlines card)!  I brought only three credit cards, and you can’t create a PIN number online with two of them.  I do, however, have my ATM card and I notified the bank of my trip.  So, I am covered now for any local shopping transactions.
American Express has a tagline “don’t leave home without it.”  I believe it should be updated for those traveling abroad… “PIN Numbers:  Don’t leave home without one.”
I will leaving for the cruise terminal shortly.  I think I have enough Euros for the cab ride, but I may try out my new PIN number by making it a credit card transaction.