Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The Netherlands: Getting Adjusted to the Time Change


Well, I made it to Amsterdam.  The overnight flight was smooth.  My flight over originally cost me $5 with the use of my frequent flyer miles.  Of course, I had to arrange the trip last August to take advantage of my account miles balance.  At the last minute I was offered the chance to upgrade my ticket to the Business First Class.  It was worth the added cost:  great food, drinks, free/priority luggage (my luggage came out first when I arrived at the airport), and time spent in the United Lounge (free food/drink).  You also have those wonderful reclining seats that make a bed.  You have plenty of legroom.  In addition, no one was sitting beside me in the two seat design.  It was worth this last minute increase in price.

I’ve spent the day getting adjusted to the time change (+6 hours) here at the Hilton at the airport (Schiphol).  It connects directly to the airport, and I’ve stayed at this hotel before.  However, things looked so different.  I found out that they had completely rebuilt the hotel.  The old one still sits and you can see it from the grounds.  It’s a very ultra modern design which fits in with the Dutch modern look. 

I will be leaving the hotel tomorrow for the ms Prisendam.   I hope the weather gets a little better (cloudy/overcast and a bit windy). 


The lobby of the hotel/conference center is open to the sky being covered by a dome.  Photos are taken from the Hilton website since I haven't unpacked my camera at this point.

My room, on the fifth floor, has two of those diamond-shaped windows.